Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Story About How I Learn To Play Guitar Online

I've posted my story about how I learn to play guitar online before, but I not in as much detail as I have at my regular site.

I remember being so frustrated that I wanted to throw my guitar (an old school Fender Bullet) out the window. I was so impatient and just wanted to sound like my idol (Stevie Ray Vaughn) as soon as possible. I couldn't stand it that when I played I sounded like somebody was drowning a cat.

After much hair pulling and giving up, only to go back and practice again after a few days, I came to a few realizations. My realizations were:
  1. Nobody learns to play guitar over night, but could I learn just a few songs and maybe even learn to jam with my friends in one month?
  2. I remember reading somewhere that Eddie Van Halen used to play his guitar (when he was first learning) until his fingers bled. I knew I wasn't practicing that much. Why was I complaining?
  3. I needed to find a teacher or some kind of program that I could follow so that I would know what to practice each day and so that I could progress faster than normal. At the time I was just buying tab books and trying to learn on my own. Note: This is like walking into a dark room and falling over things. :)
  4. I was impatient and if I wanted to learn how to play guitar, I was just going to have to suck it up and take my time.
Those were my realizations that night and it really turned things around for me. I'll post the other half of my story tomorrow. For now though, think about what I've said, I know you want to play like a god during your first month or so, but be realistic and things will turn around for you.

No comments: